For over 30 years, Clinton B. Forbes has solidified a reputation as a leader and innovator in public transportation. A Florida native, Forbes has been the Executive Director of Palm Tran since November 2015. Palm Tran, a mid-size transit agency, provides fixed-route and paratransit services to the geographically largest county east of the Mississippi River. The bus system, using over 400 vehicles, travels to every major destination in Palm Beach County providing more than nine million rides and nearly one million paratransit trips annually. Prior to Palm Tran, Forbes spent 25 years at the senior management and leadership levels at the Miami-Dade Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and three transit properties; Miami-Dade Transit (MDT), the Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) and the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA). At COTA, Forbes was Vice-President of Operations overseeing more than 900 employees. In November 2015, Forbes rejoined the South Florida community when he accepted the role of Palm Tran Executive Director.
Immediately upon arriving at Palm Tran, Forbes re-energized and transformed the Palm Beach County transit agency introducing a variety of bold and necessary enhancements.
Some of his accomplishments and priorities include:
- Restructuring the entire bus network—The Route Performance Maximization (RPM) project (Completed September 30, 2018)
- Implemented new flex system known as Go Glades in the Glades region of Florida (Completed December 21, 2018)
- Introduced robust Performance Management Program known as PT-Stat (November 2016)
Upcoming priorities include:
- Paratransit efficiency project, also known as Connection Efficiency Project (CEP) to begin in 2019
- Implementing new interoperable fare collection system (Target Date – February 2020)
- Delray Expansion—$25 million expansion of the south county facility into a three-story administrative facility (Target Date – August 2020)
- Bus shelter expansion and replacement (50 new shelters per year)
Acknowledgements and Awards
- FPTA Safety Excellence Award for Flashing Lights (November 2017)
- 50 Most Powerful and Influential Black Business Leaders of South Florida (April 2018)
- NACo Achievement Award for PT-Stat (May 2018)
- COMTO Gerald Anderson Service Award (August 2018)
- Executive Champion, United Way (May 2019)
Forbes is actively involved in the transportation industry through the following organizations:
- Member, American Public Transit Association (APTA)
- Member, Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO)
- Executive Board Member, Treasurer, Florida Public Transit Association (FPTA)
- Member, National Forum for Black Public Administrators (NFBPA)
- Board Member, The Bus Coalition Forbes holds a Bachelor’s Degree from St. Thomas University, Miami, FL in Political Science and Public Administration and has completed a myriad of transit/transportation industry and leadership trainings.